Sunday, February 27, 2011

Half Marathon


“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last; we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.  No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

I ran my half marathon this morning.  It took my 2 hours and 24 minutes.  The only thing that hurts is my back…not my legs, not my feet or my blister on my foot, my back. 

One of my best friends, David ran his marathon in 3 hours and 9 minutes.  Finishing 45 minutes after I finished my half.  He qualified for Boston Marathon and this was his first marathon. Stud right?

When it comes to running, I generally don’t run for time, I am just trying to finish.  I mean I may not get a crown but I get a metal, the same metal as the person in front of me. 

It doesn’t last forever.  It will hang on my wall along with last year’s metals in their shadow boxes, so that I can look at them and remember how for some odd reason I decided to run.

God wants us to look at the eternal prize, Him.  Not that metal or finisher shirt waiting for us right after we cross the finish line. 

God wants us to prepare and we should want to prepare for him.  I prepare for my marathons like nobody’s business.  I need to prepare for him just as much! 

Love,
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment